Sunday, January 10, 2016

Why You Should Travel More

I haven't done a great deal of traveling in my life until more recently.  What held me back more than money, more than spending vacation time moving and then going back to visit family, was I wasn't setting realistic opportunities to travel.  I wanted to go abroad, Europe in particular, and I was so focused on doing that and I didn't  even stop to think about the beauty and wonder right in my own backyard.  The United States is such a beautiful, rich, and diverse country.  It is so vast and there is so much to see.

Once I set more realistic opportunities for my self I found that in two years I had traveled to all four corners of the United States (Maine, Florida, Washington, and California).  I was even lucky enough to visit some others in between.  They were all beautiful in completely different ways.  Once I started to travel more, I got a taste for all that it offered.  It became a priority to see more the world.  I now spend less money on materialistic things, manage my vacation time differently, and take advantage of opportunities when I can.  As a result, I have been to Europe twice in the past two years!

Everyone has their own stories for where and why they travel or why they don't.  I think everyone should, even if it is just for a two-hour one-night getaway. A change of scene can do wonders.  I thought that this article made some great points in showing the benefits for traveling.

5 Reasons You Should Travel More by Michelle Phan

1.  It gives you perspective.

2.  It reduces stress.

3.  It increases your knowledge.

4.  It helps your physical health.

5.  It makes us more social beings.

To read this article in it's entirety, please click here.



Where are some places that you have visited?  Please share your experiences, photos, etc.  :)

The Fjords in Norway... A majestic and breathtaking view.  

3 comments:

  1. I love new places, even ones not too far away! Do I dare say I hate staying home. Looking forward to heading out west in a few months. However, being on a budget that doesn't allow me to travel internationally as often as I may like, I encourage people to look for beautiful places around them. Take in the sites, breathe, and eat something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too often I think that we (myself included) take for granted what is right outside our own door. I don't think that they is a place in the U.S. where you can't find a change in scene within a days drive!
      I'm excited about your trip to Colorado. Someday I'd like to make it out there too!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete