Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Call Me Mrs. Vein

Confession:  I had a cosmetic procedure done yesterday.  😲

Face lift?  Tummy tuck?  Breast implants?  Nah... there's actually a limit to what I am willing to do. However, when the opportunity was given to me to to have a simple procedure done to zap away my spider veins, I took it.

I've been growing my little garden patch of spider veins on my upper right thigh for years now.  I can't blame it on being pregnant or on even getting older (although I'm sure they didn't help) because I started to notice them in my twenties.  As time went on, my patch started to grow and expand. Admittedly, they didn't stop me from wearing skirts and shorts or even bathing suits, but over the past couple of years, I had become more aware and self-conscious of them.  Being fair skinned only enhanced their appearance too.  Tanning (the little color I do get) and even tanning balms and sprays only covered them slightly.  So my veiny legs were now apart of my appearance.  Until yesterday.

Before going on, let me say that more fortunately for me than being able to have this procedure done, is that my legs are healthy!  Prior to the sclerotherapy, I had first visited a doctor and had a sonogram done on my legs.  The doctor somberly told me the "good" news and I should have taken that as a sign that he was not the doctor for me because... I was happy that my legs were healthy!!!! even if that meant that if I followed through on the procedure it was purely for cosmetic purposes (and insurance won't cover that).

I decided to swallow that vain pill and went for it.  I pulled off about 12 cotton balls this morning, so my sclerotherapy included 12 injections.  My (new) doctor told me the needles were about the size used for acupuncture.  The biggest difference is that there's a burning sensation from the saline being injected into the veins.  She used a laser for some of the smaller veins near the surface and I think that was more annoying than the injections.  But overall, the procedure took about 30 minutes and it was completely doable.  I was even able to drive myself home afterwards.  The most annoying part now is that I have to wear compression socks for 3 days.

Before...



After...

Before...

After...

Initially, the bruising looks pretty bad, but I was pleasantly surprised this morning because I bruise very easily and I was expected my legs to be black and blue all over.  The best part is, is that I can already see a difference!!!

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a rather simple, natural person.  I do wear makeup.  I do dress well.  But I don't overdo it and I am not egotistical or self absorbed or obsessed with  my looks. However, my legs were aging me (even more so than the lines on my forehead) and... why not?  I took a noninvasive route that didn't jeopardize my health in any way.  In fact, I feel like I need to make sure to get the rest of my body in better shape to match what will soon be my more youthful legs.  

How far are you willing to go to retain your youthful appearance?

No comments:

Post a Comment