Sunday, July 26, 2015

While the Cat's Away...

My son has been at day camp for the past two weeks, leaving me with the most free time that I've ever had since before his time!

Right now, I'm lying on a blanket in Central Park's Sheep Meadow enjoying a gorgeous summer day and soaking up the last couple of hours before my free time is over.

Last week, I was in my hometown and Ewan went to a rustic day camp out there (the same one that I worked at as a teenager).  I filled my days with some shopping, running, and other odd errands.  I visited with my grandmother who at 89 is starting to slow down.  I had lunch with my oldest and dearest friend, Jessica.  It's been a tough couple of years with her going back to school to obtain her doctorate degree along side raising two children and working at the local college.  So we've talked less and less over that time period.  However, whenever we do see (or talk) to one another, we can pick up from wherever we last left off.  The time and the distance though does make it tougher to catch up and we find that we've missed telling each other some rather significant details at times.  But I love her and it was just wonderful to spend some time together without the kids.  The best part though was going golfing for the very first time, with my dad!  The golf part was both horrendous and fun, but it was just cool spending the day with my dad, just the two of us!

This past week I was back in NYC where I have even less free time (unless I buy it with a babysitter).  So I appreciated it greatly, especially since my sister came back with us.  It was great to have a partner in crime in which to explore the city!  Monday we went to DUMBO, The Brooklyn Bridge, Grand Central, Bryant Park, The High Line, and a rooftop bar!  We put on alot of miles and went right back to it Tuesday having lunch near Lincoln Center and taking a stroll through Central Park.  I can't remember the last time I have spend such a significant amount of alone time with my sister, if ever.  It was fantastic and more needed than I think either of us realized.  <3

Wednesday morning I found myself at the park running after dropping off Ewan, which made the decision of what to do on this day rather obvious.  Mani-pedi, of course!  Wednesday, I relaxed at home.  I place I hadn't really been in 12 days.  It was fabulous, lol.

Thursday, I finally made my way up to The Bronx and visited the NY Botanical Garden.  I can't believe that I've lived here now for 8 years and had yet to go.  But I did, and now I am a member, lol.  It was nice to be on my own time and to move at my own pace.  I brought my camera and practiced all of the different techniques that I learned (and was beginning to forget) in my photography class this past winter.

And finally, today.  My last day.  I had a good go and it was refreshing to rejuvenating to take off my mom cap for a bit.  I am looking forward to this next week though and spending time again with Ewan.  Time moves so quickly, especially the summer time.  Before I know it, we will be back in the school day routine.

LOL... I really didn't intend on writing a rundown of everything I did for the past two weeks.  Oh well, my mind is enjoying taking a break as well.  I know that I am lucky to be a teacher and to have this time off in the summer as well as to have had this free time for the past two weeks.  We all need some "me" time.  How do you spend your free time (kid-free, husband-free, significant other-free)?  



No comments:

Post a Comment