Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Out of the Darkness

Each year, The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention organizes Out of the Darkness Walks. These walks are a way to raise both money and awareness for suicide prevention.  Many communities participate in these walks on a smaller scale, but each year 1-2 walks take place overnight for 16-18 miles in a large city.  The first time that I had heard of these walks was in 2011.  It just so happened that it was taking place in New York City that June and it also just so happened to be taking place a month after Dale's death.  The idea intrigued me, but I wasn't ready.

This upcoming May will mark 5 years without Dale.  In June, the Out of the Darkness Walk will be back in New York City for the first time in 5 years.  I am thankful for every one of those five years to help me in my own healing and recovery because now I can say that I will be ready.  I am ready... to not only walk, but to share my story.

It is my hope to help raise money for both research and awareness for not only suicide prevention but for mental health as well.  If just one life can be reached and saved, then it is an effort worth making.  It is also my hope to help create a gradual and safe approach to telling my now, 6 year old son, how his father died, when the time comes.  I believe being active and perhaps making a tradition out of events such as this where my son can one day walk with me, may be one step in helping to lessen the pain and confusion.

In order to walk, I need to raise $1000 before June 2016.  I am hoping to raise the majority of that money through donating proceeds made from my Lemongrass Spa business.  I am also open and appreciative of anyone who would like to make a direct donation as well.  Below is a link to my donation page on the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention page.  Thank you to everyone for reading and if you choose to do so, for donating.  Hope is something that we all need and I have named my campaign... Hope for All.



http://theovernight.donordrive.com/participant/hope4all

No comments:

Post a Comment